Direct Support Professional (DSP)
Mission Statement: To set the standard for quality in the human service field through consistent demonstration of dependability, integrity, and commitment to our stakeholders.
Reports To: DSP Lead
Responsible for the operation of the assigned residential site in accordance of residential regulations. The major areas covered are residential planning & development. Abides by practices and objectives that will provide a balanced program in the residential department. Coordinates implementation through the DSP Lead & Associate Director of Residential services. Reports to the DSP Lead or the Associate Director of Residential Services. Assists fellow staff on residential issues.
1. Provide ongoing direct supervision of individuals in the program. This includes all aspects of personal care, safety, medication administration, house keeping, yard work and all duties as assigned. This includes ensuring individuals immediate concerns and needs are dealt with in a timely, orderly manner with an emphasis on quality and safety. Management shall be made aware of serious problems in a timely manner. Responsible for awareness of each individual’s health needs, scheduling of appointments as necessary, applying knowledge of emergency procedures and medication administration as needed. Transport individuals to and from necessary appointments and complete follow through of such appointments.
2. Assist in supervision of all non-regularly scheduled staff to the program, including support, training & evaluation of staff, with personnel issues directed to the DSP Lead or Residential Associate Director. Assists with reviewing variances to schedules. Follow up with on-call evaluations.
3. Assists in the responsibility of program site management & supervision including upkeep of furnishings (all furniture, walls, flooring, vehicle, lawn & garden, etc.).
Perform other duties as assigned, i.e. area maintenance, vehicle maintenance, and cleaning of such..
4. Assist in development and implementation to promote/support meaningful lifestyles of each individual through person centered planning, ISP process and related programming.
5. Responsible to insure that agency policies and residential & fiscal regulations are followed within the assigned residential site(s). Protect interests of individuals and the company in accordance with company policies, governmental laws, and regulations. Comply with regulations with respect to health, safety, and paperwork. Assist in the maintenance of inventory of equipment, supplies, and furnishings. Follow agency policies and procedures regarding financial management of individual funds and program budget.
6. Implement employee relations practices necessary to establish positive employee relationships and promote a high level of employee morale.
7. Promote and support the agency in community activities and events through role modeling and visibility for the promotion of a positive image of the agency.
8. Preparation of required or requested reports, forms, or correspondence. Assist in keeping accurate records for maintenance of the residential site(s).
9. Responsible for individual programming (coordinating and attending meetings, writing goals, implementing programming as necessary).
10. Attend and coordinate trainings, communicate to management appropriate training ideas.
11. Drive corporate owned/personal vehicle to transport individuals to appointments, activities, day program, etc. where applicable. A personal vehicle is to only be used with management approval in emergency situations or whenever another suitable alternative cannot be made.
12. Assist with scheduling upon management’s request.
13. Work required schedule as established by management including holidays.
14. Must be able to physically perform the duties of the job including lifting and transferring Must be able to use a Hoyer lift. Must be able to bend, twist, stoop, and lift repeatedly.
15. Assist in meeting annual objectives as determined jointly by the residential team. Assist in the process of organizational planning including company safety & health programs. Monitor for effectiveness and cost containments.
16. Coordination with Residential Management for overall company goals. Actively participate in the process of continuous improvement and well run home planning. Responsible for quality of life issues such as community access, comfort, and socially appropriate settings.
17. Keeps supervisor informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of objectives, and those that are not being addressed adequately at the direct care level.
Additional Responsibilities: Assume other duties as assigned by supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalent with experience in approved areas according to current licensing regulations and/or experience working with individuals with disabilities. Employees still in high school are hired on the understanding that they will receive high school diploma or equivalent.
Prerequisites for the Job:
1. Must have a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
2. Demonstrate leadership, supervisory abilities, role modeling, and teamwork.
3. Good communication skills.
4. Resourceful, innovative, flexible with time, thorough, and well organized. Good time management.
5. Advocate of team concept.
6. Ability to problem solve and brainstorm.
7. Ability to manage multiple tasks.
8. Ability to recognize and support the organizations preferences and priorities.
9. Results and people oriented. Service oriented.
1. Accountable to the DSP Lead for all phases of activities.
2. Positions accountable to Executive management, Director, Associate Directors, and DSP Leads for all phases of their activities.
3. Advises, consults, and coordinates with:
Other Direct Support Staff & Team Members: individual and team plans, company policies, departmental results, well run home planning, continuous improving, or as needed.
Financial team: budgets, and expenses
DSP Leads and supervisors: as needed