Executive Director of Residential Services
Mission Statement: To set the standard for quality in the human service field through consistent demonstration of dependability, integrity, and commitment to our stakeholders.
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible for the Chief Executive Officer responsibilities as per residential 6400 regulations and the overall operation of the residential department. The major areas covered are residential planning & development. Originates practices and objectives that will provide a balanced program throughout the residential department. Coordinates implementation through the Director of Residential Services and the Associate Directors of Residential services. Reports to the Chief Executive Officer as the ranking Residential Director in the company. Assists and advises senior management on residential issues.
1. Supervision of all residential program staff, including interviewing, hiring, & evaluation of staff, with personnel issues directed to the Chief Executive Officer and Human Resources Director. Assists in recommendations for terminations. Review employee appeals through complaint procedure. Reviews variances to schedules.
2. Supervision of Residential Director and Residential Associate Directors.
3. Responsible for program site management & supervision including upkeep and furnishings.
4. Responsible for budgetary issues in coordination with the Executive Director of Finance and the Chief Executive Officer.
5. Act as a liaison with families, providers, Office of Developmental Programs (ODP), Labor & Industry, neighbors, case management, and day program.
6. Overall responsibility for referral process (intake, assessment, placement, transfer, discharge) in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer.
7. Responsible to promote/support meaningful lifestyles of each individual through person centered planning, Individual Support Plan process and related programming. Responsible for safety and protection of individuals in the residential department.
8. Responsible to insure that agency policies and residential and fiscal regulations are followed within the residential department. Protect interests of employees and the company in accordance with company policies, governmental laws, and regulations.
9. Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale.
10. Participate in community activities, events, and speaking engagements (e.g. speaking at local colleges or community organizations) for the promotion of a positive image of the agency.
11. Preparation of required or requested reports, forms, or correspondence. Directs the preparation and maintenance of such reports as are necessary to carry out functions of the department.
12. Responsible for meeting annual objectives as determined jointly by the management team. Assist in the process of organizational planning including wage & salary structure, pay policies, performance appraisal programs, benefits and services, company safety & health programs. Monitors for effectiveness and cost containments.
13. Coordination with the Executive Director of Vocational Services, the Executive Director of Finances, and the Human Resources Director for overall company goals.
14. Must be able to physically perform the duties of the job including lifting and transferring. Must be able to use a hoyer lift. Must be able to bend, twist, stoop, and lift repeatedly.
15. Keeps supervisor informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of objectives, and those that are not being address adequately at the line management level.
16. Responsible to ensure ongoing compliance with Waiver and provider qualification requirements.
Additional Responsibilities: Assume other duties as assigned by supervisor
Education: A master’s degree or above from an accredited college or university and 1 year work experience working directly with persons with IDD (volunteer work experience and intern work experience do count as work experience).
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and 2 years work experience working directly with persons with IDD (volunteer work experience and intern work experience do count as work experience).
An Associate’s Degree or sixty (60) credit hours from an accredited college or university and four (4) years work experience working directly with persons with IDD (volunteer work experience and intern work experience do count as work experience).
Prerequisites for the Job:
1. Affiliations with or knowledge of similar companies who provide residential services.
2. Generalist background with broad knowledge of employment, compensation, organizational planning, employee relations, and training and development. Well-developed administrative skills. Strong management skills – principles and people. Experienced working with programs off-site.
3. Previous experiences gained through increasingly responsible management positions.
4. Good communication skills.
5. Resourceful, innovative, flexible, thorough, and well organized. Good time management.
6. Participative management style – advocate of team concept.
7. Ability to problem solve and brainstorm .
8. Ability to manage multiple tasks departmentally and universally.
9. Ability to establish credibility and be decisive – but be able to recognize and support the organizations preferences and priorities. Exercise discretion and independent judgment.
10. Results and people oriented, but have sound judgment. Ability to balance other business considerations. Service oriented, but assertive/persuasive.
1. Accountable to the Chief Executive Officer & Board of Directors for all phases of activities.
2. Positions accountable to Executive management, Director and Associate Directors, for all phases of their activities.
3. Advises, consults, and coordinates with:
Senior management: organizational plans, company policies, legal issues, departmental results
Financial management: compensation costs, budgets, and expenses
Human Resources: interviewing, hiring, terminations
Middle management and supervisors: as needed