Residential Direct Support Professional/Medical Aide
Mission Statement: To set the standard for quality in the human service field through consistent demonstration of dependability, integrity, and commitment to our Stakeholders.
Payroll Classification: Non-Exempt
Relationship management: Primary responsibility to ensure the health safety and welfare of the individuals. Primary responsibility to know the medical needs of the individuals and their needed supports. Primary responsibility to work with medical professionals to ensure that the needs of the individuals are clearly communicated.
Primary responsibility to promote and support positive relationships within the department and with other departments. Promote positive relationships with families and other agencies.
Responsibility to enhance the ability of each individual to lead a self-determined life by ensuring empowerment & choice, community access, and health &wellness.
- Responsibility to work in a cooperative manner with other staff and hold others accountable
- Providing personal care
- Ensuring safety
- Administering medication in a safe manner following all procedures to ensure safe admin of medications
- Ensuring individuals immediate concerns and needs are dealt with in a timely manner with an emphasis on quality and safety
- Notifying Management about serious problems in a timely manner
- Awareness of each individual’s health needs as stated in the ISP
- Applying knowledge of emergency procedures as needed
- Scheduling appointments and transporting individuals to and from necessary appointments and complete follow through of such appointments including detailed documentation
- Possess knowledge about crisis prevention, intervention and resolution techniques and match such techniques to particular circumstances and individuals.
- All duties as assigned
- Transportation to maximize the individual’s skills, abilities and independence
- Advocating for community access
- Supporting the individual in the development of friendships and other relationships
Relationship management as demonstrated by the following qualities
- Acting as a positive role model- Models effective behavior.
- Approachability– Projects an openness with fellow staff.
- Challenge – Goes beyond what is comfortable for their growth.
- Conflict management- Facilitates mutual understanding to foster continued growth.
- Customer Care- Understanding and anticipating customer needs, acknowledging, responding timely and completion resolution.
- Diversity – Understands that each individual is unique and recognizing and respecting individual differences.
- Fairness– Makes judgments that are free from bias and treats all equally.
- Inspire– Performs beyond their perceived capabilities.
- Motivator– Is enthusiastic, loyal and committed.
- Passion – Puts more energy into something than is required to do it.
- Proactive– Quickly determines when deviations, anomalies, and negativity can lead to problems and attempts to realign team.
- Responsiveness- Reacts appropriately to inquiries, concerns, and information in a timely manner.
- Social awareness– Understanding how you react to different social situations and effectively modifying your interactions with other people so that you achieve the best results. Establishes good interpersonal relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated, and included in discussions.
- Team building/Teamwork –Enhances social relations both departmentally and company-wide. Defines roles within teams in order to achieve a common purpose or goal.
Essential Function: Primary responsibility for ensuring the medical needs of the individuals are addressed. Primary responsibility to run medical appointments. Primary responsibility to check all forms related to medications to ensure proper and safe administration of medications. Program site management. Primary responsibility to ensure that all documentation of medical appointment is completed thoroughly and accurately.
Primary responsibility to ensure that agency policies/procedures and applicable governmental laws are followed.
Primary responsibility to Comply with residential and fiscal regulations with respect to health, safety, paperwork and financial management of individual funds and program budget
Primary responsibility to ensure that agency policies, laws, and regulations are followed within the department.
- Creating a home-like atmosphere that is clean and free from hazards this entails the interior and exterior of the home
- Upkeep of furnishings
- Assisting in the maintenance of inventory of equipment, supplies, and furnishings
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the vehicle and ensuring preventive maintenance is scheduled and completed
- Developing a community plan reflective of the individuals likes, preferences and abilities and following the plan as written
- Promoting community integration through meaningful activities
- Encouraging individuals to develop their skills in areas of interest through coordination of lessons, training, etc.
Skill management as demonstrated by the following qualities:
- Acting as a positive role model- Models effective behavior for staff to emulate
- Accuracy– Bases action on comprehensive and factual information.
- Analytical skills/Problem Solving – Researches and breaks issues into component parts for the discovery and interpretation of facts. Gathers relevant information in order to make sound decisions. Anticipates problems.
- Creative –Proposes and produces solutions, options, and ideas that go beyond the physical presence of rules, policies, and data.
- Decision Making- Independently formulates and articulates clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option.
- Dependability can be counted on to complete responsibilities
- Discernment– Possesses the ability to be a great simplifier who can cut through argument, debate, and doubt to offer a solution.
- Innovation – Develops new ideas and methods. Combines ideas in unique ways or makes connections between disparate ideas; explores different lines of thought; views situations from multiple perspectives; brainstorms multiple approaches/solutions.
- Intuitive – Senses dimensions beyond what is apparent.
- Vision– Plans for the future while possessing a clear understanding of the past and present.
- Multi-tasking – Tracks and performs multiple tasks at the same time.
- Results- oriented– Completes work in an efficient manner.
Essential Function: Primary responsibility for performing the job with minimal supervision or follow up. Taking responsibility for one’s own behavior, communication and attitude. Possesses the internal drive and resilience to conquer obstacles despite external influences. Possesses a comprehensive view of the job and what it entails.
- Identify areas for self-improvement, pursue necessary educational/training resources, and share knowledge with others. Direct support professionals pursue knowledge and information needed to perform job duties and interact with supported individuals and coworkers in a professional manner at all times.
- Recognizing skill deficiencies and seeking assistance from supervisor
- Taking initiative to learn about the individual and programmatic needs
- Accountability for scheduling and attending all training needed to comply with regulations
- Eagerly pursues new knowledge, skills, and methods
Self-management as demonstrated by the following qualities:
- Accountability – Takes ownership for actions/decisions, Accepts responsibility for outcomes (positive or negative)
- Adaptability – Accepts changes in direction whether internally or externally motivated.
- Attendance– Comes to work regularly, which is integral to the efficient operation of the program/department.
- Character Words and actions match.
- Commitment – Demonstrates dedication & loyalty. Invests whatever is necessary to fulfill a mission.
- Confident/Courage – Chooses to do the right thing without giving into fear.
- Focus- Demonstrates the ability to hone in on key aspects of a situation without getting hung up on irrelevant issues. Focuses on possibilities rather than barriers.
- Initiative – Seeks opportunity and takes action without waiting for others to direct. Works effectively with minimal direction or feedback, willingly makes own decisions
- Knowledge Seeker- Seeks, Identifies, participates in and implements learning activities (i.e.: courses, reading, self-study, coaching, experiential learning) that help fulfil learning needs. Puts self in unfamiliar or uncomfortable situations in order to learn; asks questions at the risk of appearing foolish; takes on challenging or unfamiliar assignments. Puts new knowledge, understanding, or skills to practical use on the job; furthers learning through trial and error
- Perseverance- Persists in the face of obstacles, does not get derailed when issues arise.
- Professionalism- Maintains composure during challenging situations.
- Self-Discipline – Provides needed actions including demonstrating correct performance for staff. Deals with problems immediately. Confronts issues.
- Time Management –Prioritizes and structures time to balance competing demands in order to meet deadlines.
Essential Function: Effective communication consists of conveying expectations, developing an action plan, proceeding with the plan and sharing the results.
Primary responsibility to communicate all information from medical appointments such as results, follow-up information, and any changes in medications to all of the staff and supervisors and team members.
- Participation in house and core meetings
- Awareness of the diverse challenges facing participants (e.g., human rights, legal, administrative and financial) and the ability to identify and use effective advocacy strategies to overcome such challenges and understand their role as an advocate
- Effective documentation: Direct support professionals are aware of the requirement for documentation within the organization and complete these requirements in a thorough and efficient manner. (daily, monthly, quarterly, annually)
- Keeping supervisor informed about significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of objectives and those that are not being addressed adequately at the direct care level
- Demonstrating professionalism in both written and oral communications
- Responding to others in a timely fashion
- Relaying critical information in an accurate and professional manner
Communication management as demonstrated by the following qualities:
- Listens effectively to ensure understanding.
- Maintains focus and doesn’t expend excessive time on irrelevant topics.
- Communicates using the method most appropriate based on preference of audience and the content of the information being communicated.
- Demonstrates simple, clear exchange of information.
- Promptly and consistently shares relevant information with all vested parties while maintaining confidentiality.
- Addresses issues directly without downplaying the seriousness of the matter.
- Participates and contributes to department meetings.
- Follows meeting agenda to ensure a productive outcome.
- Collaborates in order to maximizes benefits and minimize costs.
- Advocates for processes which improve outcomes.
- Writes clearly, concisely, and expressively so it’s easily understood
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the staff member. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent with experience in approved areas according to current licensing regulations and/or experience working with individuals with disabilities.
Staff Signature: __________________________________Date: __________________________